ploidy of industrial strains

Alan T. Bakalinsky bakalina at BCC.ORST.EDU
Mon Jul 4 17:53:12 EST 1994

This is in response to the query of Solange S de Camargo:

Hi collegues,

I work with industrial yeast strains and I would like to know how to make
for to determine the ploidia of them. Anyone can help me? I' ve already
tried sporulation, but unsuccess. I guess they don't  make spores
because they can be "homo" diploids. What may I do?

Solange,

        You can make a genetic estimate of ploidy if you can get your
strain to sporulate.  The sporulation does not have to be very efficient,
even a few spores will do.  Refer to the paper below.

Bakalinsky, A.T. Snow, R. (1990) The chromosomal constitution of wine
strains of S. cerevisiae. Yeast 6:367-382.

Alan T. Bakalinsky, Ph.D.
Department of Food Science and Technology,
Wiegand Hall, Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-6602
Internet: bakalina at bcc.orst.edu
Phone: (503) 737-6510