Fatty Acid Medium

vjackiw at merle.acns.nwu.edu vjackiw at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Wed Feb 16 16:06:49 EST 1994

Hello!
I have been trying to make 0.5% Oleic Acid liquid medium and
plates using Brij 35 as the emulsifying agent.  The problem is
that before autoclaving, the oleic acid seems to be in solution,
but when I open the autoclave, I find the oleic acid has separated
out and is floating on top.  Does anyone know how to get oleic
acid into and keep it in solution?
I have also noticed that when pouring 0.5% Oleic Acid plates, a
precipitant (the oleic acid or Brij?) forms as the plates
solidify.  Anyone know anything about pouring plates with
oleic acid?
Thank you for your help.
V. Jackiw