zymolase vs. lyticase

Leland Lim lelim at umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
Tue Feb 15 14:46:02 EST 1994

I'm new to the field of YACs and yeast genetics, and I have a basic
question concerning the enzymes used to lyse the yeast cells for DNA
isolation.  Essnetially, what's the difference between zymolase and
lyticase?  All the people I have talked to about YAC work have told me
that either enzyme can work, but all of them use the more expensive
zymolase, and are unable to offer any concrete reasons why they use it.

Does anyone out there use lyticase on a regular basis that can answer
my questions?  Also, is there a good manual that can answer any future
questions?

Thanks,
Leland Lim