Dissecting needle from optical fiber

rx81238 at mcvax4.d48.lilly.com rx81238 at mcvax4.d48.lilly.com
Wed Feb 9 16:43:42 EST 1994

In article <2j8u5a$hka at apakabar.cc.columbia.edu>, dan at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu (Daniel Zabetakis) writes:

>     Does anyone have experience in making dissecting needles from optical
> fiber? We've been doing it for a while, and when you get a good needle it
> works fine. But it is very difficult to get a good needle. The tip of the
> fiber almost always shatters when cut with a razor blade.
>   Does anyone have a favourite technique that gives a better yield?
>
> DanZ
>
> --
> This article is for entertainment purposes only. Any facts, opinions,
> narratives or ideas contained herein are not necessarily true, and do
> not necessarily represent the views of any particular person.

Yes.  We use optical fiber all the time.  The best way I have found
is to place an optical fiber on a glass slide.  Take a cover slip and
place it on the fiber at a 45 deg angle and gently press down.  The
needles we make this way are flat with few burrs on them.  Examine the
ends in the scope to pick a really nice one.

Jeff Radding
Eli Lilly and Co.

All opinions and advice offered are my own and do not represent in any form
those of Eli Lilly and Co.