Dissecting needle from optical fiber

David Rose drose at husc4.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 9 09:47:52 EST 1994

dan at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu (Daniel Zabetakis) writes:

>    Does anyone have experience in making dissecting needles from optical
>fiber? We've been doing it for a while, and when you get a good needle it
>works fine. But it is very difficult to get a good needle. The tip of the
>fiber almost always shatters when cut with a razor blade.
>  Does anyone have a favourite technique that gives a better yield?

	In our lab we find that using a couple of glass cover slips
instead of a razor blade gives cleaner edges.  It still takes a number of
tries to get a good one, but not as many.  You sort of "tiddly-wink" the
fiber, being careful to not break the coverslips, which, as you might
imagine, are pretty fragile.

						Dave Rose