overcooked plates etc.

Ronan.Okennedy Ronan.Okennedy at UCG.IE
Wed Aug 24 15:08:51 EST 1994

I've noticed that water quality may have an effect on the degree of
carmelisation in a medium. And pH is important to (so i am told). I suppose
that water quality in Mohms would not only refect ions in soln but also
organic matter. Normally around spring and late summer the water quality
here is a problem. This concides with algal blooms and gets into the water
for the college. Also  high  levels of iron in the intake does serious
damage to IE columns in the water system.
These variations in water quality have cause me no end of trouble causing
carmelisation/precipitation. So my advice (for small quantities of medium)
use the highest grade water you can find (17-18 Mohm).

Ps does anyone know about the effect of pH on carmelisation
and if a sugar is carmelised is it detectable using standard glucose/reducing
sugar assays.

Ronan O'Kennedy
Department of Microbiology
University College