problems with alpha aa

David Stillman stillman at bioscience.utah.edu
Thu Aug 11 10:44:23 EST 1994

In article <32aqrc$e6k at emory.mathcs.emory.edu> Abhijit Datta,
adatta at bimcore.emory.edu writes:
>If anyone out there is having problems with the latest lot of Sigma
alpha aa
>(the lot has not changed since Jan) then pl contact Sigma 'cos I have
had
>toxicity problems myself and apparently so has one other person in the
yeast
>world.  I wuld appreciate hearing from anyone with a similar experience
and/or
>suggestions regarding a reliable supplier.

Your posting is not specific enough.
First, by "alpha aa" do you mean alpha amino adipate?
Second, it would be useful if you listed the Sigma catalog number and the
lot number. Finally, what sort of toxicity problems?

We tried alpha amino adipate plates to select for loss of LYS2 plasmids,
and the method basically failed in our hands. Wild type LYS2 strains grew
on these plates, although at slower rate than lys2 strains. I don't know
if our problem stems from the lot of alpha amino adipate, or how we made
the plates.

David Stillman
Department of Cellular, Viral and Molecular Biology
University of Utah Medical Center
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
stillman at bioscience.utah.edu
phone: 801-581-5429