RNA Isolation reagents

Doug Rhoads DRHOADS at MERCURY.UARK.EDU
Tue Aug 2 11:29:28 EST 1994

I was wondering whether anyone out there has tried using AGRIsol (Research
Products International) to isolate RNA from yeast??  We routinely use
acid-phenol freeze-thaw with OK results but we're working in Candida.  We
have also tried Trizol reagent but the yield wasn't any different except
for a little more DNA contamination.  RPI sells a couple of these RNA
isolation reagents for disrupting cells: RNA NOW, RNA NOW TC, and AGRIsol.
The latter is advertised as good for plant cells.  But will it work on
yeasties??  The stuff is $85/100ml so just `trying it' is somewhat out of
our price range.  For the Trizol I at least got a free sample.  In that
case the company didn't know.  I also tried it on Dictyostelium with no
success.

Anyone with good experiences with this stuff??

Doug Rhoads                  || Dept. of Biological Sciences
drhoads at mercury.uark.edu     || 601 Science Engineering
drhoads at uafsysb.uark.edu     || University of Arkansas
501-575-3251                 || Fayetteville, AR 72701