Yeast cDNA expression library wanted

Morris F. Manolson mm6y+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jun 13 17:08:33 EST 1993

>Dear netters - I am looking for a yeast cDNA expression library - either
>ZAP or gt11, for screening with polyclonal sera for a particular protein
>of interest to us.  Any suggestions of where I could get hold of this
>would be gratefully received.  Thanks in advance,

The small size of the yeast genome and the rarity of introns within
yeast genes makes using cDNA libraries not as important with yeast
as with mammalian systems.  I recently purchased and used a
yeast genomic lambda gt11 from Clontech (1-800-662-CLON), screened
using rabbit polyclonal antibodies and got my gene on the
first screen (yeast libraries from Clontech are probably the only
libraries that you can buy and not have to worry about their
recent DNA contamination problems....the contaminating DNA
was from yeast).   Actually, I just looked at Clontech's latest
catalog and they are now selling both yeast genomic and cDNA libraries.
I think I would still prefer to screen a genomic library.  For the
same work you will get the upstream and downstream regions and you will
will probably find a more interesting gene just downstream of your
gene, etc etc. If you want details on screening the library,
please don't hesitate to call.  Best of Luck!  Morrie

PS.  I just noticed that Stratagene is also selling premade
yeast expression libraries.  Check it out.

PPS  I don't work for Clontech or Stratagene (is that OK Francis? ;->)

Morris F. Manolson                     Tel:  416-813-6662  (office)
Division of Cell Biology                     416-813-5594  (lab)
Hospital for Sick Children                   416-813-5028  (FAX)
88 Elm St., McMaster building        email:  Morrie at resunix.ri.sickkids.on.ca
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5G 1X8