clumpy nicknames

Michael Lichten lichten%bchem.dnet at DXI.NIH.GOV
Thu Dec 9 09:46:05 EST 1993

1.  RE: clumpy yeast.

There are many causes of clumpiness.  We have found that in our strain
background (SK1), that clumpiness seems to go along with growth on non-
fermentable carbon sources; cells are relatively unclumpy until late in
culture growth when, presumably, they use up the glucose and switch over to
ethanol.  Consistent with this is the fact that cells grown in acetate are
much more clumpy.  We have managed to keep this clumpiness down to a
managable level by putting polypropylene glycol 2000 (Aldrich) into the
medium at 10 ppm (1/1000 dilution of a 1% stock suspension).

2.  RE:  nicknames.

At the risk of alienating my friends in the pombe community--schizoids? ;-)