men and wives

Una Smith una at cowpox.lanl.gov
Sun Mar 3 05:09:00 EST 2002

There seems to be a common falacy that workload is lighter SOMEWHERE
ELSE, so new PhDs "switch" to industry and a 40hr workweek, and people
in industry talk about how easy life is in academia.  Ditto teaching
colleges:  it's a 9-5 job, its not a 9-5 job.  I think the difference
is all in the person, not in the job.  I used to work 60+ weeks, and
feel stressed and resentful.  Then I decided not to do that anymore.
If anything, I am now more productive, doing more good work in 40hr
than I used to do in 60.  And I have time for family and friends and
hobbies and sports.  A non-trivial part of the difference is that now
I waste no time complaining about working too much.

	Una Smith

Los Alamos National Laboratory, MS K-710, Los Alamos, NM  87545