Improper Interview Question?

Una Smith una at cowpox.lanl.gov
Mon Jan 28 04:52:32 EST 2002

Janet Mertz  <Mertz at oncology.wisc.edu> wrote:

>On a positive note: a few years ago, my department accepted a student in
>his early 40s. Given his maturity and prior experiences, he was able to
>accomplish a terrific Ph.D. thesis (including publications in "Nature")
>within a reasonable time frame and go on directly to a tenure-track faculty
>position!

Another positive note:  it is fairly common for Yale to admit older
students to PhD programs (a classmate of mine had a son in law school
at the time), and the older students I've known have all done quite
well in graduate school and in the job market afterwards.  They don't
get as bent out of shape as younger students, and they have far more
interpersonal skills, so tend to handle their advisor extremely well.

	Una Smith

Los Alamos National Laboratory, Mailstop K-710, Los Alamos, NM  87545