Women faculty?

giner giner at my-deja.com
Mon Jan 7 04:18:08 EST 2002

notmyaddress at hotmail.com (SLF) wrote in message news:<3C332FEA.4CC0A403 at hotmail.com>...
> Here's an article for discussion:
>
> "Where have all the women faculty gone?"
> addresses some of the reasons women don't pursue jobs in academe.
> Importantly, the author makes the
>  point that loss of women from the pipeline isn't due solely to family
> commitments and long hours. "All the career alternatives that I have
> mentioned are demanding. Women are not choosing different careers based
> on the hours involved or the lack of intellectual challenge...... We're
> not talking about the type of work. We're talking about something
> social--the established culture, collegiality and mentoring
> relationships in the  academic sciences."

I thought that was a particularly interesting article. However, I
question the assumption the author makes above - I know several women,
including myself, who made the decision to leave academia partially
because of the long hours involved. I left academia after postdoc'ing
because I wanted a life. I've found that I love having weekends to
myself and my husband. (I actually have a hobby now!)

But maybe the long hours bugged me because I no longer loved what I
was doing. Compared to grad school, postdoc'ing is a lonely
experience. I didn't feel like I was part of any group. And I
certainly didn't feel that I was part of the university I was working
for. I can also see that feeling of isolation growing worse if I
became a professor. And, quite frankly, I have rarely met a faculty
member who seemed to be really happy and enjoying their work. It
really hit home for me when my grad school advisor, who had always
appeared rather serene and content with his work, admitted to me that
if he had the chance to do it all over again he'd do something
different.

It took a long time to come to the decision to leave academia, and two
years later it still feels really good.

-Gina