Women faculty?

SLF notmyaddress at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 4 05:16:40 EST 2002

Happy new year, everyone.  Let's hope for a better one for all.

Here's an article for discussion:

"Where have all the women faculty gone?"
addresses some of the reasons women don't pursue jobs in academe.
Importantly, the author makes the
 point that loss of women from the pipeline isn't due solely to family
commitments and long hours. "All the career alternatives that I have
mentioned are demanding. Women are not choosing different careers based
on the hours involved or the lack of intellectual challenge...... We're
not talking about the type of work. We're talking about something
social--the established culture, collegiality and mentoring
relationships in the  academic sciences."

Read this article at
http://www.fathom.com/story/story.jhtml?story_id=121904

This also leads into the burn-out effect--I know of many more women than
men who, despite apparently "making it" with tenure and successful labs,
are tired, burned out, and ready to leave.  In fact many of them have.
What's the problem and how do we fix it?

Links to this and related material at the women in biology page below.

--
-susan

Women in Biology Internet Launch Page
"These are my opinions.  I don't have