midsemester evaluation

Laurel F. Appel lappel at mail.wesleyan.edu
Tue Apr 10 12:03:49 EST 2001

	Since I keep having to relearn this lesson year after year,
I'll share it.  Perhaps it will help to deal with one aspect of
burn-out.

	If you are getting frustrated with a course you are teaching
-- student complaints, getting behind or having to speed up the pace,
lost the friendly atmosphere and can't seem to connect with the
students-- or even if all is going ok, HAND OUT A MIDSEMESTER
TEACHING FEEDBACK PAGE.  It only takes 5 minutes at the end of
lecture. Make it anonymous, turned in same day so you can read it
right away. What I always find is that most people are happier than I
think (of course -- normally the only ones you hear are those who are
unhappy).  I often get useful suggestions, the students get a chance
to vent and appreciate that anyone actually cares what they think,
and we all go to the next class feeling better about the course as a
whole.

	The University has a formal evaluation at the end of the
course, which seems designed for statistics instead of course
improvement.

	I append my own, for those who'd like something to start with.

Laurel

- - - - -
			MIDSEMESTER FEEDBACK PAGE
For each question, please check the most appropriate point along the
line between the two extremes of possible answers, and then add any
comments you have in the space below.  There is a space for general
comments at the end.

CONTENT OF COURSE
The material covered in this course is . . .
   Too simple_________________________________________Too difficult.

   Boring_________________________________________Very Interesting.

The pace of the course is . . .
    Too slow_________________________________________Too fast.

Comments:

TEXT
The textbook is . . .
   Too simple_________________________________________Too difficult.

Comments:

COURSE DELIVERY AND MECHANICS
The lectures are . . .
    Difficult to follow__________________________________Easy to follow.

    Interesting_________________________________________Dull.

Comments:

The exams are . . .
About what I expected	    	Different (in what way?		)
Comments:

General Comments on what you like/dislike, would change/keep the same:

Laurel F. Appel
108 Hall-Atwater                lappel at wesleyan.edu
Department of Biology           tel: 860-685-3258
Shanklin & Hall-Atwater Labs    fax: 860-685-2141
Wesleyan University
237 Church Street
Middletown, CT 06459