Moderation, and a modest proposal

Geoff Gibbs ggibbs at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 19 12:21:39 EST 2000

In article <39EC87E2.3F38865A at hotmail.com>,
	notmyaddress at hotmail.com (SLF) writes:
> Moderation is a lot of work--a LOT of it.  Not something that we take
> lightly, and I think that we have in the past decided that we didn't want
> a "formal" moderation, just a mechanism to remove the more egregious
> posts and spam. If someone else wants to volunteer, that would be
> grand, but I know that I have too little time to make this sort of commitment.

Could I encourage you to consider becoming a moderator. It is hard work
for Alan as he is moderating several groups. We have a Web based moderating
front-end, which is good for a group of people. If several of you,
sprinkled around the globe in different time-zones wanted (?) to
do it, then this would be good. You don't have to worry about
synchronising things, it should work out what is going on for itself.
This is also good for when one or two of the moderators go on holiday,
there is no need for any special arrangements. Indeed, if someone
wanted to try it out and give Alan a hand, then this would be entirely
possible. The main thing to agree on is the hymn sheet that you are to
sing from, i.e. the FAQ or charter. (You do appear to have a Charter
on the web site)

Geoff
--
UK-Human Genome Mapping Project-Resource Centre,
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SB, UK
Tel: +44 1223 494530  Fax: +44 1223 494512  E-mail: G.Gibbs at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk