Job postings on the group

Linnea Ista lkista at unm.edu
Wed Oct 18 14:18:06 EST 2000

"Paul S. Brookes." wrote:

> I think cross-posting of jobs to this group is fine, provided they appear
> elsewhere, but sole posting here and not anywhere else might be considered
> unfairly favourable to the (primarily female) readership here.  The line
> between affirmative action and positive discrimination is a very fine one.
>
> Regards
> PSB
>
> ---

I would agree if the posts came from an institutional representative.  If it
is from an individual on the list, I believe that is what the old boys would
refer to as "networking".   Some of us are not subscribed to the other list,
after all.

I am quite often amused at how the recipients of affirmative action, who
receive it because of a history of overt discrimination, are somehow required
to be absolutely certain that we ourselves are  perceived as scrupulously and
totally fair even as we are still fighting bias directed at us.   If the
playing field were truly level, I would agree.

Cheers!
Linnea