a new moderator

Alan Bleasby ableasby at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 15:41:07 EST 2000

Julia et al,

Absolutely no offence taken, rest assured. My offer was sincere
though.  The reason is simply this. I have been the anonymous face
behind bionet for Europe, Africa and Asia (those small islands
somewhere off the west coast:-) almost since its conception. Twelve
years is a long time. Yes, I have been quiet and invisible, being a
modest sort of chap. When, late last year it was found that Stanford
lacked the necessary staff, equipment and that they were going to
suffer severe Y2K problems I suggested that the whole operation moved
over here rather than let it die. I happen to think its
important. Hence, several existing moderated groups were left without
a moderator and so, rather than lumber anyone else, I took on the task
myself without prior knowledge of any discussions on the group.

I do believe that its better for a group if the moderator is active
(but maybe not fanatically active) in whatever field it
supports. Though a believer in equal opportunity I am not
active here.  The offer is more from a feeling of being an observer
rather than a participant.

You'll see that I have been letting those job ads through which have
mentioned the keyword "women". I'm perfectly happy to relax this if
people then don't complain about "all this spam". Maybe Susan would
let me know the consensus view? I just remove the spam, I unashamedly
admit that I don't have time to read the discussions :-)

Alan Bleasby