a new moderator

Julia Frugoli jfrugol at CLEMSON.EDU
Mon Oct 16 15:01:04 EST 2000

Alan wrote:

I'm not sure who this "we" is. I am the sole moderator to my knowledge
and the above is my humble opinion. I will not be drawn further on
the subject.

May I take this thread as an opportunity to ask whether the group
wishes to propose another moderator for this list. I have been doing
it as a courtesy but would be delighted to step aside and let someone
whom the group feels more appropriate do so. I have considered
asking this for some time. Any volunteers should not be of a
sensitive disposition, moderation should not unduly favour any
particular worldwide timezone and should be a 7 day per week task.
Trusted stand-ins should be organised during any absence.

That is not a whinge. I moderate many other groups and will continue to
do so. Maybe I should have posted this to bionet.jobs.offered

Alan Bleasby

  Do not take offense, especially with my misspelling of your
name-when I type fast, it happens.  My short answer is that I
certainly don't want a new moderator unless someone else is dying to
do it -not likely :)- and my post was not a complaint about the
moderation of the group, it was a question.

Many of us are well aware of the job load that moderating poses, and
most would not like to take it on. So please do not feel
unappreciated!  please understand that even for constant readers and
posters, the moderators and the enablers (the bionet people) remain
anonymous. A few years ago we discussed on the list whether to
moderate and how to moderate, and I was curious if the decision had
been made then about what was appropriate-I can't remember.  If it
had been made, I was also curious as to why.  For lack of a better
term for the newsgroup denizens, I use the term "we". Since faculty
job announcements used to appear on the group, and since many of the
moderated newsgroups (arabidopsis comes to mind) post lots of job
announcements, I wouldn't have thought of them as inappropriate and
so I assumed that people having trouble getting their job listings
posted where having newsgroup problems.  IMHO, they are appropriate
to the newsgroup.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I will not be drawn further into the
subject"-did you mean to say as moderator you have the final say on
what's appropriate?  If that's the case and faculty job ads are not
permitted, could we as individual posters make postings directing
people to websites where the job ads are?  I know there will be
several job openings in my department in the next few years, and I
would dearly love to encourage female applicants-calling attention to
them here somehow would be good.  I know the party that approached me
about not being able to get their job listed on women-in-bio was
doing it for the same reason.

Any light you can shed on how to approach this would be appreciated
by myself and other newsgroup subscribers and readers, I'm sure.

Julia Frugoli
Asst. Professor
Biological Sciences
Clemson University