query about the newsgroup

Alan Bleasby ableasby at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 12:08:32 EST 2000

> I tried to post a message three times earlier this year,
> and it never got through. I kept reposting it with more urgent
> comments to the moderator, and when there was still no response
> I gave up on the newsgroup. If this has been happening to
> people, it will not only keep their messages from reaching the
> group but give them the impression that the group is run by
> a hostile and discourteous moderator.
>
> May I suggest that you periodically post a FAQ explaining
> how the group is moderated and what kind of reply acknowledging
> a posting one should expect?
>
> Pat Bowne

Points noted. It may be best if you contact Geoff wrt any problems
in posting rather than sending to the list. If we receive a posting
an acknowledgement is normally sent although we are considering
turning it off as it annoys some people. You can never please
everyone.

As for moderation, only SPAM is removed (cable tv descramblers, sexual
aids, advertising etc). Advice has been taken from a notable on this
group when it has not been clear whether a message was spam. Spam
messages are rejected without any reply, hardly a day goes by without
there being a handful of these. Job advertisements are
also generally rejected as they should appear on bionet.jobs.offered.

So, you can take it that if your message has not been posted and it was
relevant to the group then it has not been received.

Your friendly and polite moderator,

Alan Bleasby