men and women in science

Kimberley Snowden ksnowden at hort.cri.nz
Tue May 2 18:10:39 EST 2000

I just thought I'd share something I thought some of you would find
interesting (it is purely anecdotal though).  A couple of weeks ago we
had a seminar from a visiting South African scientist. She made an
interesting comment - that she was suprised to see so many male
scientists in New Zealand (which is where I currently work). She said
that in South Africa, male scientists are a minority because science
isn't paid very well. That made a few of us think a bit! I don't know if
anyone told her that we're not paid very well here either. It makes we
wonder if the men in South Africa are ahead of world trends, and the
same thing will happen
elsewhere. Or maybe science is paid even worse there.  It still seemed
like a strange situation to me, because women in the US and NZ (the
places where I have worked and seen the numbers first-hand) still have a
way to go to make up equal numbers with men - particularly at the higher
levels. And why are women more likely to accept poorly paid professions?
I think I know the answer and I don't like it. Anybody want to comment
on this?

cheers
Kim