Equity v. parity

giner giner at my-deja.com
Mon Jul 31 15:10:05 EST 2000

In article <397F42BA.3F170359 at abacus.bates.edu>,
  Paula Jean Schlax <pschlax at abacus.bates.edu> wrote:
> She brings out the points that although a third of the PhDs granted are >to women, that many universities report that only 10% of their job
>applicants are women- She suggests that two topics we visit often on the >site are to blame-that graduate students and postdocs who desire to have >a family don't feel an academic career is feasible, and that women
>faculty appear to be less respected by their peers (as judged by
>research space, salary etc...)

For me it was the second issue - the report from MIT really depressed me.

> Another point- the median salary for a chem PhD last fall just starting out in a
> real job was $61,000-
> Most assistant professors (except in rare cases), start at less than $45000

This was a big issue for me, too. After so many years in grad school, and
then postdoc'ing at a barely livable salary, I thought I deserved more.
Now I'm working at a small biotech company (in the same city I did my
postdoc in - I didn't have to move!) and I really love my job. I've
gotten away from working at the bench (my choice) and I look forward to
coming into work every morning. That's a heck of a lot better than I felt
about my postdoc. I'm not making a whole lot more than I would have as an
assistant prof, but I'm working only 40 - 50 hours a week for it.

-giner

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.