Equity v. parity

Sabine Dippel S.Dippel at pfh.research.philips.com
Fri Jul 28 10:37:05 EST 2000

Janet Mertz wrote:

> Another likely major factor is that whereas many men are willing to apply
> nationwide to any job even vaguely matching their background and research
> interests - i.e., apply to 50 or more jobs, women tend to be much more
> selective, applying only to jobs that closely match their family needs
> (e.g., location) and their specific research area. Thus, even among women
> interested in tenure-track positions, they have pre-selected themselves out
> of possible jobs so that even departments sincerely interested in hiring
> women have a hard time identifying potential candidates.
>
> Janet Mertz

Yes and No. As far as applications go, this has been my experience, too,
but I have also seen (in my job search and in that of other people) that
men who apply to jobs that only remotely match their background have a
fair chance to be hired nevertheless, whereas women only got the jobs
that closely matched theirs (and weren't even interviewed for the other
ones in many cases). Selection committees are only too happy to reject
a woman's application on the grounds that "her background is not exactly
in the area we are looking for" (though I have only anecdotal evidence
for this, it comes from someone who was part of such committees, so I know
it has happened).
Concerning the location dependence - well, sure, there we're back at the
good old "two-body problem".

Sabine

---