Equity v. parity

Janet Mertz Mertz at oncology.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 27 13:17:39 EST 2000

>She brings out the points that although a third of the PhDs granted are to
>women, that many universities report that only 10% of their job applicants
are
>women- She suggests that two topics we visit often on the site are to blame-
>that graduate students and postdocs who desire to have a family don't feel an
>academic career is feasible, and that women faculty appear to be less
respected
>by their peers (as judged by research space, salary etc...)

Another likely major factor is that whereas many men are willing to apply
nationwide to any job even vaguely matching their background and research
interests - i.e., apply to 50 or more jobs, women tend to be much more
selective, applying only to jobs that closely match their family needs
(e.g., location) and their specific research area. Thus, even among women
interested in tenure-track positions, they have pre-selected themselves out
of possible jobs so that even departments sincerely interested in hiring
women have a hard time identifying potential candidates.

Janet Mertz