Equity v. parity

Caroline Szymeczek-Seay css at med.unc.edu
Thu Jul 27 13:17:28 EST 2000

Hi Dr. Schlax,
does "real job" in the snip below refer to industry employment?  or to
tenured academic employment?  or to high school teaching?  :)   I'm not
asking just to be a pain (well, maybe i am just a little bit).  What I'm
interested in is challenging the ideas that we *all*, even women, even
minorities, even those in less than traditional career paths, have
regarding what is a "real" job.  These ideas may be different in biology
than they are in chemistry than they are in engineering...maybe folks
would like to comment.  So what is a "real job", folks?

All best,
Caroline

Caroline Seay, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
Cell and Molecular Physiology
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-7545

Paula Jean Schlax wrote:

snip snip
Another point- the median salary for a chem PhD last fall just starting
out in a
real job was $61,000-
Most assistant professors (except in rare cases), start at less than
$45000
(often much less)-Women actually had a higher starting salary than men.
snip snip