Equity v. parity

Janet Mertz Mertz at oncology.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 26 11:54:55 EST 2000

>Our department is now going through a search for a "nutrient and gene
>expression" assistant professor.  All four of the candidates who have/will
>interview are males.  At least two of them have minimal teaching
>experience.  Given that we have a strong teaching expectation here, does
>this mean that the rest of us (mostly female) will have to pick up the
>slack at the expense of our research programs?

The University of Wisconsin-Madison has recently begun to require
departments with a high percentage of female Ph.D.s in the field to
interview at least one serious female candidate for open tenure-track
positions before the administration will approve the new appointment. If a
department only interviews males for a position, they are told they did not
do an adequate search and need to extend the search or start the search
anew to bring in more applications. In one instance I know about, this
policy not only lead to a female being interviewed, but hired as well in
favor of the previously interviewed male candidates!

Janet Mertz