Equity v. parity

SLF notmyaddress at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 25 16:58:43 EST 2000

The new issue of SCIENCE has an article about the efforts of the NSF to
support women in science. (Science 289, 21 July issue).  A sidebar in
the article discusses the argument now arising amongst social scientists
that fewer women choose science as a career because women prefer
"people-oriented" professions rather than cold, hard theory.

to me, this ignores the REAL issue, which is not the absolute number of
women in science, but rather, whether they achieve equity to the men at
equivalent positions.   That is, regardless of whether 20% of scientists
are female, those 20% should be able to expect the same support,
salaries, etc of the male scientists.  It's not parity of numbers, but
equity of treatment, that is concern.

Unless the nay-sayers  REALLY believe that women who choose to be
scientists are simply  not as good as the men.  And that I simply refuse
to believe.

Comments?

--
-susan