becoming a mature scientist...

C. J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 12 11:38:33 EST 1999

In article <378629d2.0 at oit.umass.edu>, siang at wilde.oit.umass.edu (l sian
gramates) wrote:

>I've just reached that point of being a no-longer-young biologist--
>my optometrist tells me I need bifocals, and from distance at
>which I've been holding journals of late I'm inclined to agree
>with him.
>
>I've started researching my options, and am trying to put together
>the advantages and drawbacks of each. my optometrist strongly
>suggested progressive lenses, but my optician suggested I might not
>be happy with them.  I'm clear on the most obvious advantages of
>progessive vs. regular bifocals vs. plain glasses plus separate
>reading glasses:  the former addresses the vanity issue, but MY but are
>they expensive! (a big concern for those of us on a grad student's
>budget).  Beyond that, I'm really not sure which option better fits
>the busy grad student lifestyle (particularly work style).
>
>Anyway, I figured this was a good forum to find a lot of people with
>insight into my situation.  Any opinions on what works best for
>a Drosophila geneticist who spends a lot of time buried in journals
>and staring at a computer screen.  Driving vision is a non-issue, as
>I don't drive.
>
>My biggest concern is that a couple of people have suggested that
>it's hard to switch from regular to progressive lenses (or vice
>versa) once I've worn one style for a while.  Have others here
>found this to be so? I've also heard that some people never adjust
>to progressives, so I'm worried about budgeting a big chunk of money
>that may be wasted.  My optician said a lot of people find progessives
>sub-optimal for heavy computer use, and that a lot of the lens will
>seem distorted, potentially restricting my range of vision.
>
>If this is too far off-topic, I'd be happy to get replies by email.
>
>Thanks,
>Sian Gramates
>siang at mcb.umass.edu

Sian-My eyes are not quite at the stage for bifocals, but my partner in
crime recently had to go to progressive lenses.  Since he does computer
stuff for a living, he searched around and found that Zeiss (the
microscope people) makes progressive lenses that are specialized for
people who sit in front of a computer all day.  They were tough to
find-you may have to check out the internet to find a dealer near you, but
I'm sure there must be several opticians in MA who can get them for you.
Of course, they are more expensive than the standard-issue progressives.

Good luck!
Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller