becoming a mature scientist...

l sian gramates siang at wilde.oit.umass.edu
Sat Jul 10 13:54:04 EST 1999

I've just reached that point of being a no-longer-young biologist--
my optometrist tells me I need bifocals, and from distance at
which I've been holding journals of late I'm inclined to agree
with him.

I've started researching my options, and am trying to put together
the advantages and drawbacks of each. my optometrist strongly
suggested progressive lenses, but my optician suggested I might not
be happy with them.  I'm clear on the most obvious advantages of
progessive vs. regular bifocals vs. plain glasses plus separate
reading glasses:  the former addresses the vanity issue, but MY but are
they expensive! (a big concern for those of us on a grad student's
budget).  Beyond that, I'm really not sure which option better fits
the busy grad student lifestyle (particularly work style).

Anyway, I figured this was a good forum to find a lot of people with
insight into my situation.  Any opinions on what works best for
a Drosophila geneticist who spends a lot of time buried in journals
and staring at a computer screen.  Driving vision is a non-issue, as
I don't drive.

My biggest concern is that a couple of people have suggested that
it's hard to switch from regular to progressive lenses (or vice
versa) once I've worn one style for a while.  Have others here
found this to be so? I've also heard that some people never adjust
to progressives, so I'm worried about budgeting a big chunk of money
that may be wasted.  My optician said a lot of people find progessives
sub-optimal for heavy computer use, and that a lot of the lens will
seem distorted, potentially restricting my range of vision.

If this is too far off-topic, I'd be happy to get replies by email.

Thanks,
Sian Gramates
siang at mcb.umass.edu