Reponsibility, more on.

bmartin at utmem.edu bmartin at utmem.edu
Fri Jul 2 01:24:37 EST 1999

In article <377552D1.3F395166 at salk.edu>, S L Forsburg
<nospamforsburg at salk.edu> wrote:

>  Certainly the system is not fair--it's not fair to assistant professors
> either,
>  frankly, as you no doubt know, in fact it's even worse--but students today
> started in graduate school when there were many people already having
> trouble finding jobs.  That doesn't excuse the people who have
> plainly lied to them, but it doesn't absolve them of some responsibility
> for their own lives and decisions. Life isn't simply
> black or white.   Or perhaps I just never
> realized that so many students in a profession based on
> healthy skepticism take everything a professor says as absolute
> truth.  Hmmm.  My students don't seem to pay that much attention to ME.

A similar argument could be made for any tough issue in science.  Women
who enter graduate this fall should not complain; they should have been
aware of the poor atmosphere before they matriculated.  The same for
minorities; for single-mothers; and on with many examples.  Knowing
about the situation and experiencing the situation are very different.

Would you argue that women and minorities in science share some of the
blame if their career is railroaded by the non-welcoming environment?

I don't believe you would, but some of your comments on the job market
seem similar.

B. Martin