women in biology

Linnea Ista lkista at unm.edu
Wed Nov 25 09:40:51 EST 1998

Have you tried entering into a search engine or catalog +gender +inequity
+biology?

Some of the things I have learned about overcoming gender discrimination
is that
1. I am not the spokesperson for every scientist/biologist who happens to
be a woman or for everone woman who happens to hold a scientific position.
The attitude that I should be is called "tokenism".

2. That it is not my responsibility to be up to date on the latest studies
of people who are "studying" "people like me", as men frequently feel it
should be. I am sometimes hard-pressed to keep up with my own field - much
less the science I am interested in "just for fun". In other words, I do
not have time to do other people's library research for them.

Linnea