Where to go from here?

A. M. Kiewietdejonge amkiwi at sfsu.edu
Tue Jun 30 23:40:43 EST 1998

Hello all,

I apologize for coming late to the discussion which seems to have
originated in the first part of June.  I finally graduated with my BS in
Microbiology on 5/30 (at the age of 33)--the following day my mother
suffered a brain stem hemorrhage from which she never recovered.  I've been
away for four weeks, and now am trying to return to some semblance of
normalcy...

Like Evan Coffield, I have asthma, which was diagnosed only last fall.  The
great irony of my degree is I am so exquisitely sensitive now to most lab
chemicals I will never be able to do bench work.  I have an interest in
bioinformatics, but am unsure how to proceed.  It seems few institutions
offer bioinformatics degrees (the local exception being Stanford).  Would
it behoove me to undertake such a project (assuming I could get accepted,
and financial aid of some sort) and get a PhD at nearly 40, or self-study
computer science and try to find a path that way?

And yes, what of that biological clock?  My husband and I will celebrate
our 5-year anniversary in September (we got married my first semester back
at the University, something I would not necessarily recommend to anyone
asking!)--he's more interested in children than I and would probably make a
better primary parent.  I would say I'm ambiguous at best on the issue, but
there is something about being an only child and just having lost my mother
that gives me the sensation I've been "passed the baton."

I have seen lots of good stories and good advice in the posts I have just
reviewed, hopefully there are more out there for me.  Thank you for your
time.

Annette