women speakers at meetings

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Tue Jun 30 23:40:49 EST 1998

Regarding women speakers at meetings/seminars:

I decided to do the calculation. On the NIH (National Institutes of
Health) calendar for June 1 - June 9, there are listed (quickly counted,
and gender identified only by names), 50 men speakers, 16 women
speakers, and 10 whose names were ambiguous). If we exclude the
gender-ambiguous names, that means that 16/66 speakers were women, or
about 24% of the speakers were women.If we categorize all of the
ambiguous names as men, then 21% of the speakers were female.

It's difficult to calculate what percent women make up in the pool from
which these speakers could be chosen, but it's probably not terribly off
>From 20-24%, don't you think?. Isn't 20% close to the number of women
entering the tenure-track faculty pipeline? And, most of the speakers
(listed on the NIH-wide calendar) are relatively senior scientists, so
the proportion of women who are in the pool of senior scientists is
probalby even lower.

This calculus is different when we're considering lower-level talks, but
I haven't found that women are strongly under-represented in senior
level talks. It seems to me that the root problem is still the pipeline.