posting, breaks

Una Smith una at minerva.cis.yale.edu
Tue Jun 30 01:44:14 EST 1998

ravena at cco.caltech.edu (Karen Allendoerfer) writes:

>I would vote for getting rid of all age-based requirements, but I've
>heard a counter-argument, almost exclusively from men, that
>hear this about mathematicians and physicists; they fret if they
>haven't made their major discoveries by age 30, they're washed up.

This counter-argument is perhaps *the* myth that young male scientists
torture themselves with, in much the same way young female scientists
obsess about whether getting married is incompatible with a career as
a scientist.

For what it's worth, the older mathematicians and physicists I have
discussed this with pretty much discount it.  They don't agree about
whether the effect exists but they do all agree that, *if* it exists,
it has everything to do with being new to a field and nothing to do
with age per se.

--
	Una Smith		Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
        			Yale University