women speakers at meetings

Michelle Peckham mp at chb.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 29 13:20:51 EST 1998

Dear All
I have been to two smallish meetings recently, where the proportion
of women attending was about 20% but the proportion of women
speakers was at 5-10%.  This could partly be because more of the
women attending were junior, but I don't think this is the whole reason.
I'm trying to find out if this is a common experience.
If you have been to a meeting in the past year, and can let me know
the proportion of women attending, and the proportion of women
speakers, I'd be very interested.  Also the title, and content matter
of the conference - is it worse in some areas than others?
(My own field is muscle, and the cytoskeleton).

If this is an overall trend, then we should draw attention to it, as
if there is one important thing in science, it is communicating
your work to others, and the oral is just as important as the written.
Lack of representation at meetings is then effectively denying women
the chance to speak.

Michelle Peckham
University of Leeds
University of Leeds