Ethics and Naivete

Mary Ann Sesma msesma at zeus.bell.k12.ca.us
Tue Jun 9 12:45:39 EST 1998

As the result of downloading the entire digests of this newsgroup and
reading them so I could prepare for the questionnaire   certain items STICK
out.  One was  Paula's post of Nov 14. 1997.  She writes of classroom
ethics and certain techniques that students use to cheat.   For me, the
most important statement was the final statement of her post.

>(PS- I wa pretty naive in general chemistry- a friend was retaking the
>ourse, and after we got lab reports back, he always asked me if he could
>look at mine to correct his (and vice versa- but I was really into the
>class....) It wasn't until a year later that I was talking to our TA and
>found out that he was turning his reports in months late. I still
>thought he was a nice guy, but I didn't take any more classes with him-
>after all- it was just a lab)

In my opinion, women are more naive, trusting, etc  --I know I was and
still am in certain arenas.   I would go so far as to say that I was just
plain stupid and had the concept that because we were all   taking science
classes everybody was truthful, ethical, etc.  because they were
"SCIENTISTS".  Well, the second year, taught me differently .  "Nevermore
quoth the raven."  I woke up!!

Judging from the number of posts I would suggest that this is an area of
education that needs to be evolved , particularly for women.  Yes, I know
that we try to infuse the ethical sense into our students, but maybe we
need a hammer rather than more subtle methods.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann Sesma                          e mail
1621 Sunnyhill Drive                    msesma at bell.k12.ca.us (preferred)
Monterey Park, CA 91754                 sesma at aol.com
phone; (213)261-5860
fax:(213)261-8692