career path for women in biology

Evan Coffield ecoff at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 4 19:00:04 EST 1998

I saw your message board in the career paths as alternative career
paths.

I am surprised I did at this time as I am returning to school in the
fall and want to major in biology.  I have an AS in Liberal Arts and one
year beyond that at ISU in Indiana from early '80s centralized in Sp.
Ed.  I am currently a respiratory therapist, but due to my asthma; my
doctor is suggesting another career path.  I am also visually impaired
with left eye blindness.  How would this effect a career in biology?

I have a strong interest in herpetology and orthinology.  I own 38
animals varying from parrots, tiels, iguana, rabbits, budgies, bearded
dragon, African Spurred Tortoise and a dog.  I have studied the animal
related magazines.  I am a breeder of English Lop Rabbits.   I am a
member of various rabbit and tortoise organizations.

My intent is to get a Masters in Biology.  However, which way is the
best way to go in my interest with animals and my asthma.  Genetics
speciality, microbiology masters or what?  I live in Stockton.  2 hours
>From Bay Area work areas; Silicon Valley and 1 hour from governmental
opportunities perhaps in Sacramento.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Cindy Coffield