networking

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Thu May 29 10:21:58 EST 1997

On 29 May 1997, Kim Cuddington wrote:

> Cindy Hale (chale at SAGE.NRRI.UMN.EDU) wrote:
>
> : I will be presenting at the upcoming ESA conference in Alburqueque this
> : August.  Not only would it be nice to connect with some other folks for
> : networking and socializing but I'm looking for someone to split the cost of
> : a room with.
>

> Hi Cindy,
>
> I'll be at ESA and would love to do coffee. However, I've already got a
> roommate. If you're vehicless in Alburqueque, might I suggest that you
> forgo the rooms offered in the registration package and phone La Poseda
> (one of the three hotels within walking distance of the conference center)
> directly. They have "small" twin bedded rooms for $69 that have not been
> advertized in the ESA registration package. If even that is too expensive,
> there's probably some cheaper motels on Route 66, which seems to be about
> 5 blocks from the conference.
>
> Cheers,
> Kim
Hi!
I live in Albuquerque. I would avoid the "cheaper hotels" on route 66,
especially in the area of the conference center. They are not in the best
part of town and cater to a clientele that is best avoided.  La Posada is
okay (my husband and I spent our wedding night there), but it is old and
the rooms are small and somewhat lacking in the amenities that we have
come to expect in the days of ubiquitous Holiday Inns. It is a historical
site however, and pretty big on "atmosphere". Also on the
weekends, they have live music in the lobby until about midnight and that
would prevent one from getting sleep if one were so inclined. Still it is
a *much* better alternative to Route 66. If you have transportation,
there are a number of hotels about a mile away on Menaul near University,
which are also okay. There are also some near the airport and some pretty
nice and reasonable ones on Hotel Circle or Hotel Drive, but they are
fairly far away from the conference center.

Hope this helps!
Linnea