Forwarded: New NSF Program for Women

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Tue May 6 11:43:18 EST 1997

Patricia S. Bowne wrote:

> Does anyone have information about how much the POWRE
> program will award for biological or physical science
> proposals? All the posts I've seen only give the figures
> for social science proposals.

The best thing to do is contact the people at NSF with what you have in
mind.  I've always found them quite helpful.  Their names and email
addresses are on the program announcement I quote from below.

The guidelines I've read (available at
http://www.nsf.gov/bio/pubs/nsf9791/nsf9791.htm)
state:

<quoted material>

The POWRE program allows flexibility in the choice of activities
designed to provide academic and professional opportunities for women in
science and
engineering. The following categories of activities will be supported:

Visiting Professor - supports activities at a host academic institution
for the conduct of research projects and/or for engaging in innovative
educational activities that have promise beyond the home institution's
traditional education approaches.

Visiting Researcher - supports activities for academically employed
women to conduct research and development projects at an industrial or
non-Federal organization.

 Research/Educational Enhancement - supports opportunities to enhance
the applicant's research and/or educational activities at the home
institution or at an external site through: (1) access and utilization
of new and/or special facilities, skills, or methodologies; or (2)
exploratory or pilot work to determine  feasibility of a new line of
inquiry or educational activity.

Supplements - support additional research and/or education activities
for women principal investigators or co-principal investigators under
existing NSF grants to (1) take advantage of a special opportunity
(e.g., pursuit of a promising new direction in research or education, an
international collaboration, an innovative idea for integrating research
and education), or (2) provide extra support at a critical career stage
(e.g., after major administrative demands, after a career interruption
to accommodate family responsibilities or relocation requirements).
Potential supplement applicants should contact the cognizant
 program officer, and directorate-specific information may be available
on the home page of the appropriate NSF directorate/office.

.................(stuff deleted)........

Awards for the Visiting Professor, Visiting Researcher, and
Research/Educational Enhancement categories of the POWRE program will be
made for up to 18
months duration and for up to the following maximum budget amounts
(which include both direct and indirect costs):

              Visiting Professor - up to $150,000

              Visiting Researcher - up to $150,000

              Research/Educational Enhancement - up to $75,000

The award sizes for POWRE proposals and supplement requests will vary
based on the activities proposed and the priorities of the NSF
disciplinary directorates.
Potential proposers should consult the appropriate member of the POWRE
Coordinating Committee listed at the end of this announcement, or the
cognizant
program officer. Specific information may also be available on the home
page of the appropriate NSF directorate/office.

<end of quoted material>

--
DON'T REPLY to the email address in header!

forsburg at salk.edu