the days dissappear!

Laurel Spear Bernstein lbernstein at isisph.com
Fri May 2 12:00:58 EST 1997

Regina wrote:

snip---
> 1) I am very interested in considering non-bench science jobs. While I
> know how to go about looking for research jobs (what sources of job ads
> to check, what people to contact), I am quite lost in terms of learning
> of alternative occupations, and of specific openings in those areas.
> Has some of you found him/herself in a similar situation? How does one
> get "unstuck"?
*************************************
Here's a source for some info (sorry I don't know how to make the URLs
into links or I'd do it to make it easier to access!):

Science's Next Wave, a Web project from Science magazine:
     www.nextwave.org

     NEW ON THE SITE!

     1) THE SKILLS EMPLOYERS REALLY WANT: CAREER ADVICE AND ONLINE HELP

     Peter Fiske, the Next Wave's hands-on job hunting guru, covers what
     many scientists wish they had know earlier -- how to market
yourself
     to non-academic employers. Believe it or not, many the skills you
     picked up during your scientific training are VERY valuable in the
     workplace -- and it's not just the lab skills.

     The trick is translating YOUR lab experiences into a context that
     potential employers will understand. Peter provides some guidelines
     and a list of phrases that you can use in your job search. Ask him
for
     help online and he'll do his best to help you out! Go to the
"Tooling
     Up" section of the Next Wave site at

     ----> www.nextwave.org/server-java/SAM/tool9.htm