Forwarded: Science's Next Wave: What's New

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Fri May 2 11:58:32 EST 1997

This touches on some threads recent to the newsgroup, so I thought I'd
post it.

     Science's Next Wave, a Web project from Science magazine:
     www.nextwave.org

     NEW ON THE SITE!

     1) THE SKILLS EMPLOYERS REALLY WANT: CAREER ADVICE AND ONLINE HELP

     Peter Fiske, the Next Wave's hands-on job hunting guru, covers what
     many scientists wish they had know earlier -- how to market
yourself
     to non-academic employers. Believe it or not, many the skills you
     picked up during your scientific training are VERY valuable in the
     workplace -- and it's not just the lab skills.

     The trick is translating YOUR lab experiences into a context that
     potential employers will understand. Peter provides some guidelines
     and a list of phrases that you can use in your job search. Ask him
for
     help online and he'll do his best to help you out! Go to the
"Tooling
     Up" section of the Next Wave site at

     ----> www.nextwave.org/server-java/SAM/tool9.htm

     2) WOMEN RE-ENTERING THE SCIENTIFIC WORKFORCE: ESSAYS AND
INTERACTIVE
     FORUM

     Beginning Friday, May 2, we  will be hosting an online-interactive
     feature on "Women Re-entering the Scientific Workforce" in the
"Going
     Public" section of the site.

     In many cases,  women take time off from their careers to have
     children or care for elderly parents.  But how difficult is it for
     them to get back in?  Some scientists would say that it's
impossible.
     But it's actually not.  In fact, our forum participants say it's
never
     to late to return.

     In this "Going Public" forum, six women share their experiences
with
     you.  They've come back in at different levels, some return to
     graduate school to get their Ph.D.s, while others who already have
     their degree return for a training update. Re-entry is not limited
     research, and as you'll see from our essay writers, there is more
than
     one way to do it You will be able to participate in an interactive
     discussion with these scientists from 2 May to 4 July.  Ask them
your
     questions or share YOUR opinions with the rest of us.

     ----> http://www.nextwave.org/server-java/SAM/public.htm

     (Access to the site is free, but registration is required.)

     FEEDBACK? U.S. and Canadian readers can mail us at
nextwave at aaas.org;
     U.K. and other European readers should e-mail
     jmacfarlane at science-int.co.uk

     We're an international site, with editors in the U.S., Canada, and
the
     U.K. If you have news on science training, funding, policy, or the
     science job market, share it with us and we'll try to share it with
     the rest of our readers!

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at