the days dissappear!

Regina TRENCH at LEPER1.CA.AECOM.YU.EDU
Thu May 1 06:25:23 EST 1997

I was wondering how much of a common thing it is that even if one has
firmly decided to start looking for jobs, days go by without having done
a thing about it or without having changed the usual work routine (which
in my case doesn't let much room to do things in off hours).

So, I find myself ready to finish my postdoc and move on, but at the
same time I am somewhat stuck because:

1) I am very interested in considering non-bench science jobs. While I
know how to go about looking for research jobs (what sources of job ads
to check, what people to contact), I am quite lost in terms of learning
of alternative occupations, and of specific openings in those areas.
Most of the people I know work in academia, and I found that they can
not help me much. Actually, they somehow (and indirectly) discourage me
from exploring other options ("but you are so good at this", "you'll
miss this", "you won't find that as interesting, you're so used to X").

2) I don't know how to include in my days "looking for job" tasks. I
always intend to do them at the end of the day, but of course I am too
tired then. And in the weekends... what to tell you, sometimes I need to
go the lab, but even if I don't, there're tons of things waiting to be
taken care of in the house --and I don't even have babies yet!--. Any
spare time that I have, I desperately need to use in breathing and
recharging.

Has some of you found him/herself in a similar situation? How does one
get "unstuck"?

Thanks!

Regina