WRiting science

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospam.salk.edu
Thu Jan 30 04:53:36 EST 1997

Constanze Bonifer wrote:

> Yes, it would be womderful to read some papers written in a more colourful
> language, however, please keep in mind that english is not everybody s
> first language. It is bad enough having to write up the results in a language
> not your own, but setting the standards such that the language is supposed
> more complex or so would place half the world into a severe dilemma..

Actually, native speakers often write worse than non-native speakers,
since most of us learn our own language informally, by using it,
and make more mistakes than those who learned the rules properly!

Short, concise English can be very well-written without the
need for "colorful" or complex terms.  Personally, I believe the
use of the passive voice is a large part of the problem in science
writing,
but that's been my pet peeve for a long time.

-- Susan, who in her youth obtained a degree in English.  ;-)

NOTE Don't reply to email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg          forsburg at salk.edu
The Salk Institute    http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg
La Jolla, CA