Upcoming Career Meeting in SFO

Karen Yoas yoas at cfox.bchs.uh.edu
Wed Jan 29 08:07:19 EST 1997

>> Have you ever noticed that the people you know who have done the best with
>> their career choices always seemed to have had some kind of plan?
> >snip<

>money was never the main goal, just trying to do what I like doing
>(ecology), and not getting stuck with academic politics. For those
>interested in money alone (appealing to those who are apparently the
>market audience for this meeting), perhaps its helpful to know I now
>make $60k a year in the private sector, which seems to be what they pay
>Phd's these days, dress casual and otherwise don't care about company
>and money stuff.

60K a year for ecology?  I find that really hard to believe.  PhD's in
the private sector here in Houston Texas are lucky if they can pull 40K
a year.  That's doing extremely well.  Most jobs around here want to
start you below 30K.

>Ladder climbers tend to fall by the wayside cuz they
>base their happiness on prestige and money, things that are easily taken
>away. Maybe I'd make lots more money helping people prepare vision plans
>(Dilbert, take note), but gosh, I'm a lot happier. Edith

Ladder climbers seem to exist less today because of constant company
layoffs.  But I suppose if they make it past middle management then
they are home free.  Most layoffs center around middle management and
below.  If people want guidance, there's plenty of people (good or bad)
more than willing to give you what you paid for.

But, hey, sounds like you made your niche.  Where do you work at and
what do you do?  I know some Ecology students getting ready to graduate
and I think they would be interested in knowing more.

Karen Yoas
Biological & Biochemical Sciences
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-5934