The Mind of a Scientist = The Mind of an Artist/Musician

Kylie.Shanahan at ffp.csiro.au Kylie.Shanahan at ffp.csiro.au
Wed Jan 22 01:04:51 EST 1997

In article <9700218538.AA853888402 at netmail.hscbklyn.edu>,
   esylander at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU wrote:
>I know alot of scientists who sing, but many who also have other outlets,
like
>painting and really bad poetry. Like myself.
>   I think that sometimes you need another outlet for this creativity, other
>than creating a novel experiment. As much as I love science, it can be rather
>dry on occasion. I guess I am just happy that the anal retentives are far
>outnumbered by the nuts, at least here in academia.
>
>beth

I think it's really important to have activities outside your work that
balance your personality.  I do a bit of needlework, and have just taken up
furniture restoration, which I find highly creative.  It's also great to get
home and let the orbital sander rip when you've had a frustrating day! ;)
All through high school I studied a language, then when I enrolled in science
at uni they wanted to make me do straight science.  I fought them and won the
battle to study my language in my first year, a decision I've never regretted
 - it was really important to me to have an outlet other than science and,
even though I love what I do, I wouldn't want to do *only* that.

Kylie.