The Mind of a Scientist = The Mind of an Artist??

Robin Panza panzar at clpgh.org
Thu Jan 16 05:33:28 EST 1997

>>It makes me wonder about this left right brain stuff.  Supposedly the right
>>brain is the "artistic" side and the left the "analytical" so the more
>>scientific.  But science is very creative in practice.  You need to be

My understanding of the brain sidedness theory is that the left hemisphere is
more *deductive* (A leads to B leads to C leads to answer) and the right
hemisphere is more *synthetic* (the "Eureka!" reaction).  Good science needs
both of these, while good art may not need the linear, deductive traits.  I
have met some artists (and note I said *may* and *some*) with whom discussion
is difficult, because they do not talk linearly, but jump around from subject
to subject.  I've not yet ever found this in a scientist.

As a gross overgeneralization (meant tongue in cheek), lawyers are
left-brained, artists are right-brained, and scientists are ambidextrous.

Robin Panza			panzar at clpgh.org
Section of Birds, Carnegie MNH