The Mind of a Scientist = The Mind of an Artist??

Angeline Kantola kantola at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 9 18:47:23 EST 1997

In article <42831.chale at sage.nrri.umn.edu>,
Cindy Hale <chale at SAGE.NRRI.UMN.EDU> wrote:

[at the end of an interesting post]

>I seems to me that science and art are very similar processes and that our
>brains are doing very similar things.
>
>So what do you all think?

I'm a biochemist, not a neurologist, so I can't offer an informed comment
on the relative similarity of artistic and scientific brain processes.  ;)

I will voice another 'me too', though. I was more active in band and
theater than in science during high school, and continued in technical
drama stuff in college while I was working on my BS in Chemistry. I'll
always treasure the year I spent working in the costume shop--talk about
gaining practical skills!

I put those textile skills to work nowadays in a bunch of different
ways: quilting, sewing clothes occasionally, dyeing and painting,
knitting.  I also have been an amateur potter for eight years. I'm up to
my ears in my thesis research, so you can imagine that my artistic
output has significantly diminished in recent years.

My public speaking skills are great, in part because of my early acting
experience I'm sure. And one of the reasons I love my field (protein
structure/function relationships) is the satisfyingly visual output at the
end of the structure determination process. I tell ya, I heard the
heavenly angels singing when I saw those 'before' and 'after' hexokinase
pictures in undergrad biochemistry... :)

Cheers,
Angie
whose thesis advisor was a ballerina *and* a Rhodes Scholar!