Science (mag) family/career

Chuck Gasser csgasser at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 8 13:21:57 EST 1997

Deb Britt brought my attention to the forum at
(http://www.nextwave.org/balance.htm).  As she suggested I posted to
their forum page.

I find it incredible that they did not choose to include a couple with
children who have been successful academic or industrial scientists in
the panel!
Since I have been at U. C. Davis I have had four close associated who
were assistant professors and mothers (three had babies while they were
assistant professors, the other had her child earlier).  Of these four
three are now tenured and the fourth chose to move into a non-tenure
track position.  Two of the women who were tenured have husbands who
are also professors in the biological sciences who share childcare
responsibilities.  Thus it is possible to be a mother (even a  new
mother) and receive tenure at a major (U. C. Davis was in the top 40 of
one of the recent controversial evaluations) research University.
Another example is a professor in the biological sciences at Stanford
University who started as an assistant professor in the early ninties.
She had two children as an assistant professor and had no trouble
obtaining tenure.  In fact she is now at the top of her field and was
recently admitted to the National Academy of Sciences.  I know less
about her family life so I cannot say how the childcare was shared.
Together the examples I mention show that it not only can be done, but
that it is done often!

Unfortunately, it appears that few such women choose to peruse this
newsgroup and thus don't post here!

Chuck Gasser (Professor, father of Reta, and husband of a Tenured
Professor)
csgasser at ucdavis.edu