The Mind of a Scientist = The Mind of an Artist??

Deb Britt Deborah_Britt at brown.edu
Wed Jan 8 14:08:02 EST 1997

In article <42831.chale at sage.nrri.umn.edu>, chale at SAGE.NRRI.UMN.EDU
("Cindy Hale") wrote:

> Chris Odt Wrote " I am an artist in my other life,"...
>
> I am also and artist/biologist and there are a very large number (seems to
> me) of my biological friends who are also artists.  Further, my artist
> friends have great interest in biology as well.
(snip)

Well, just as not all artists are scientists, not all scientists are
artists.  I for one can't manage anything better than stick figures.  When
I taught labs, I used to xerox a lot, so that I didn't have to draw
(unrecognizable to the students) on the board.  I do, however, have some
musical ability, and know (or know of) many scientists who are also
musicians.  I think that creativity is one of the characteristics that is
necessary to become a good scientist, although the outlet for that
creativity differs according to the talents of the individual.

Deb

--
Deborah Britt, Ph.D.
Department of Medical Oncology