Is it possible??

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Tue Jan 7 17:57:51 EST 1997

Rae Nishi writes
: >   I had
: > one kid before tenure and one after.  I think I've been reasonably
: > productive.  I have five grad students in my lab now.  I'm up for
: > promotion to full professor this year.  Keep your fingers crossed for
: > me.
: >
: > Rae Nishi, PhD
: > Associate Professor

Deb Britt (Deborah_Britt at brown.edu) wrote:
: I can't tell you how much it meant to me to read this in your post today.:
: Deb Britt

I wanted to add my voice of thanks for these posts to Deb's.
As we've all been stating, pursuing academic science is an
obsessive all encompassing endeavor, and doing it while raising
a family must be very hard. So I am very greatful that Rae takes
the time to post these little tidbits that raise the spirits.

For others who like to see or hear of examples of women who
have children and are practicing high level science, here's
my short list of people I can remember of the top of my head:

Story Landis, NINDS intramural director
Leslie Ungerleider, Lab Chief, Brain and Cognition, NIMH, NIH
Sarah Pallas, University of Georgia, Developmental neurobiologist
Rae Nishi, Oregon Health Sciences University, neuroscientist
Margaret Livingstone, Harvard, neurophysiologist

Of course, there are plenty of women scientists who didn't
have children, some of whom (but not all) would have liked
to chose differently, so perhaps I also need to keep a list of
women scientists who didn't have children.

I'd love to see others add to my list of women scientists in
academic positions who have children.

Bharathi Jagadeesh/bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Lab of Neuropsychology, NIMH
Building 49, Room 1b80